Pages

Saturday 11 May 2013

PHOTOS: "My relationship with Mike Ezuruonye" — Nollywood Actress Dayo Amusa



Actress, producer and scriptwriter Dayo Amusa has earned accolades from fans and colleagues alike. The actress who was spotted at the just concluded Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) spoke with MERCY MICHAEL about her new production which features two prominent Nollywood stars; Mike Ezuruonye and Desmond Elliot.
 WHAT informs your dress sense?
Occasion dictates what I wear, and so is my mood.
Is it your first time of attending the Africa Movie Academy Award (AMAA)?
No. It’s not my first time.
What is your expectation of the award in its ninth year?
Well, the industry is improving generally, and AMAA is doing well. For the fact that the scheme recognizes what everybody is doing in terms of production, is commendable.

We get to see few Yoruba movies in AMAA nominations every year. How does this make you feel as a Yoruba actress?
At least the fact that one or two of them have clinched the award makes me feel good. On the number of nominations, it can only get better. Rome was not built in a day.
Recently, you featured Mike Ezuruonye in one of your movie productions. What informed that decision?
Well, I wouldn’t say anything actually informed the decision. He is an artiste; I am an artiste as well, so I believe we can all work together in one way or the other. And considering what I’m trying to portray in the movie, I just feel that Mike would definitely give me what I want. Then of course, having Desmond Elliot to direct the movie is one of the best things that happened to that production. So, I went for what I felt was good.
I am sure a lot Nollywood buffs would want to know if Mike actually spoke Yoruba in the movie…
He did. He delivered 90 percent in Yoruba. I know that a lot of people would expect him to speak English because that is the language he is known for in the movies, but getting to know that he speaks Yoruba, fulfilled my expectations about that movie. So, I said to him, this is what I want, this is what I’m paying you for and this is what you are expected to do. And he really did well.
We have heard some artistes complain that Yoruba film producers use non Yorubas to star in their movie. What is your take on this?
Well, as far as I am concerned, I have not heard such complaints. And I believe that we are all one and the same in the film industry. So, whether I call an Igbo actor to take part in a Yoruba movie or I chose to call a Hausa guy to take part in a Yoruba movie, I don’t see anything wrong with that. It is the same movie industry.
Some say you are one of the few artistes who attained stardom on a platter of gold..
I am hearing it for the first time that Dayo Amusa never paid her dues. For someone who has been in the industry for almost eleven years now, of course I have paid my dues. Well, I could have been lucky unlike some people, but the fact remains that I paid my dues. I didn’t get into the industry and became prominent overnight. I joined the industry in 2002 and this is 2013 for heaven’s sake. I started acting in 2002. I started with Wemimo Films in Ibadan and then proceeded to Lagos.
What were the challenges you had to face?
Well, it’s not as if I actually went through any hard time. I’m yet to face any challenges. I did all that I had to do, and somehow producers got to notice me. I don’t think I fall into the league of those who are desperate to reach that height. I believe that slow and steady wins the race. And that has always worked for me.
Would you say that you decided to be a producer because you weren’t getting movie roles as expected?
No. Like I said, I joined the movie industry in 2002 and I did my first production in 2006 it wasn’t because I wasn’t getting roles that I went into production. It’s just that I have something to offer to the teaming Nollywood buffs, both as an actor and a producer.
What’s your biggest achievement so far?
My achievement has no limitation. The greatest is yet to come
Was acting what you studied in school?
No, I studied Food Science Technology at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta.
Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Lagos.
What’s your take on marriage?
Marriage is beautiful. It was instituted by God and it is one of the best things that could happen to a woman.
What would you say is the unique quality that you like in a man?
Sincerity
How do you handle advances from men?
I try to be polite and friendly. I don’t like to be rude to them because some of them are first my fans before the thought of dating me crossed their mind.
When do you plan to get married?
That’s left for God to decide and He will do it at His own time. I’m not in a rush to get married. I am not desperate, but I desire it and I have left everything to God. It will surely happen someday.
What’s your take on divorce and does the high rate of divorce and separation in Nollywood bother you?
We have actors in this industry whose marriages are stable. And we have those whose marriages are not stable. Married or single, it is important to be up and doing and to be good to the people we meet on our journey of life. But I pray for the best in my marriage, when it eventually comes.
Are you in any relationship at the moment?
Yes, I’m in a relationship.
Tell us about your ideal man?
My ideal man is a man who understands my job, who can’t be intimidated irrespective of my status in the society. I appreciate a man who can differentiate me from what I do, a man that loves me for who I am.
How many awards have you won?
Millions of awards from my fan, every good comment made by my fans is an award.
Piracy is a menace killing the industry…
Well, that is a challenge we are facing now. There is no profession without its challenges, so it’s not surprising. However, with all hands on deck and the needed support from government, we shall overcome the problem. It’s just a phase; we will surely conquer by God’s grace.
What’s your beauty regime like?
I really don’t have any beauty routine. I take a shower after the day’s work. I try as much as possible to rest properly. I eat good food and drink a lot of water. Sometimes, I go to the spa, but mostly, I relax at home.

Culled From: The Nation 

1 comment:

  1. Very educated with Matured and Sensible Responds, I Like her More!!!!

    ReplyDelete