Sources in UNILAG said the student, who was squatting in the hostel, died shortly after returning from an outing with a man.
They added that Tope could have been saved if she was promptly attended to at the centre.
One of them said, “Tope was squatting here. She went to a club and returned around midnight on Thursday. It was not long afterwards that she started gasping. We rushed her to the UNILAG Medical Centre, but they blamed the student who allowed her to squat in her room. Tope eventually died, while the other student is being threatened with eviction.’’
Temitope’s passing, according to sources, wasn’t easy. She was reportedly in pains and “even vomited blood”.
Friends say she might have fallen victim to ritual killers. We don’t know how that happened, if that was what happened.
Temitope’s death has thrown the Faculty of Education into shock as UNILAG prepares for another examination period. She was a 100 Level student of Chemistry Education.
While some said Temitope was a “runs girl” who stumbled across the wrong “sugar daddy”, Micheal Ogunlaja, argued otherwise.
“I knew her for more than two years,” Ogunlaja wrote in a Facebook post the day Temitope was buried.
“Tope was a good girl, humble, nice and jovial lady. She was a prestigious lady ready to sacrifice everything for someone. I remember those moment we spent together reading, joking, and tackling serious issues.
“Memories of you can never vanish from my life. You never tell me you will go this soon. It was a shock when I heard your death. Why would death pick you? The last time we saw, we talked, joke, laughed and sobered together not knowing that was the last time we were gonna to see. Indeed we lost icon, an Akokite.
“May your gentle soul rest in peace,” he wrote.
However, the management of the university said no student died at the centre. A statement from the school’s Deputy Registrar, Information Unit, Mr. Toyin Adebule, said Tope died before she was brought to the centre.
“I wish to state that the incident did not happen at the centre. Also, there is no report from the hall to the Dean of Students Affairs on the incident. Therefore, no student has been ejected from the hall,” the statement read in part.