Pages

Wednesday 10 May 2017

Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' Of Nigerian Government In His Letter To Senate

Image result for Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' Of Nigerian Government In His Letter To Senate
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari’s letter of vacation addressed to National Assembly failed to address the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, as Acting President while he is on vacation.

This led to an uproar in the Senate on Tuesday when the letter was read.Read more after cut....




President Buhari proceeded on an indefinite vacation on Sunday.

The letter by Buhari to the Senate only informed the National Assembly of his departure for medical trip, adding simply that Osinbajo will coordinate the activities of government.

Disturbed by the content of the letter, Senator Mao Ohabunwa, who raised a Point of Order, said there is no provision in the constitution for a Coordinating Vice President.


Ohabunwa said the only provision in the constitution is Acting President.

He submitted that the content of the letter is ambiguous and not explicit enough.

However, the Senate Leader, Ahmad Lawan, in his reaction, said Buhari has done what the constitution stipulated and therefore any word used in the letter is irrelevant.

Lawan said: “Mr. President, let me say that the Point of Order raised by my colleague and the explanation that subsequently follows shouldn’t have been and my reasons are simple.

“I still rely on the first paragraph of that letter which Mr. President wrote to this Senate and read by the President of the Senate and I will read section (145), which reads: Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration, that he is proceeding on vacation.

“Any other word in this letter or indeed anywhere else is irrelevant.

“I therefore feel that Mr. President has done what the constitution requires him to do and I urge this Senate not to go ahead to discuss this because its not an issue.

“We have the budget and so many other serious issues for us to discuss and Nigerians are waiting.”

The Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, said in his ruling: “I think it is a very clear issue and what we should be guided by is the constitution and I think that it is clear, the letter has referred to the constitution and there’s no ambiguity in the constitution.

“So, I don’t think there’s any issue there.

“Let me first rule you out of order Senator Mao.”

Buhari had in letter forwarded to the Senate said: “In compliance with section 145 (1) of the 1999 constitution as amended. I wish to inform the distinguished Senate that I will be away for a scheduled medical followup with my doctors in London. The length of my stay will be determined by the doctor’s advice.

“While I am away, the Vice President will coordinate the activities of the government. Please accept the distinguished Senate President the assurances of my highest consideration.”
 socialtimesng

No comments:

Post a Comment